Los Palos (the intellectual capital of Timor and the heart of the resistance movement) is in desperate need for a centre where:
- Young people can be trained and educated
- Cultural and artistic activities can be fostered
- The local women can produce and sell their Tais (Traditional Weaving)
- New business opportunities such as Eco Tourism can be set up…and
- The community can establish ‘On Line’ web based media to connect the village to the world.
Timor Leste still after 10 years of freedom remains one of the poorest nations in the world, and according to Australia’s official aid agency, AusAid, life expectancy is only 60 years with half the population living on less than a dollar a day. The building of this centre in Lospalos offers a way out of this poverty cycle.
Change the World produced this short clip, highlighting the need for a Sustainability/Arts/Business Centre in Los Palos Timor-Leste. Together with representatives from the village and the East Timor Women Australia group- ETWA, we raised $21,000 in one night to ensure the centre can be built.
Change the World is now producing a documentary film following the ‘highs and lows’ of the building process and the change that this will bring to a community in need.
Use the Form Below to Leave a Reply